- 1 Essential Oil Diffuser in a Nutshell
- 2 Top 10 Best Essential Oil Diffusers To Look For
- 3 Top 3 Best Essential Oil Diffuser Reviews
- 4 Types of Essential Oil Diffusers
- 5 Why Buy An Essential Oil Diffuser?
- 6 How To Choose The Best Essential Oil Diffuser
- 7 Frequently Asked Questions
Best Essential Oil Diffuser Reviews – Comprehensive Buying Guide for Essential Oil Diffusers
Diffusing essential oils provides countless benefits for a person’s well-being through aromatherapy. I personally use oil diffusers to set the mood at home or to simply relax.
Diffusers evaporate water and disperse essential oils. The product is a fine vapor scattered to the air for the body’s respiratory system to absorb. As the aroma enters the body, it sends signals to our brain’s limbic system.
That’s the part where our memories and emotions were stored.
Triggered, the brain initiates functions like relieving pain, boosting your mood, or releasing hormones – helpful to set a romantic mood with my husband.
That, my friends, is the power of the aroma and you can get it from essential oils.
But what’s the use of oils if you can’t diffuse it, right? You need an essential oil diffuser to that.
Essential Oil Diffuser in a Nutshell
Please don’t get confused between diffusers, vaporizers, and humidifiers.
Humidifiers are used to maintain the moisture in the air. This prevents irritations like dry skin, lips, and throat. It’s perfect during winter to help you from flu or colds. It’s also a reliable device to lessen sinus congestion.
Oil diffusers, on the other hand, are specially designed for aromatherapy. They disperse the oil into the air as a micro-fine vapor. This allows the oil to suspend in the air for an extended amount of time.
Some essential oil diffusers can also function as a humidifier by dispersing a cooler mist. In fact, the oil diffuser in our master’s bedroom has this function and my husband loves it.
Another device that some people get to confuse with diffusers is the vaporizer. Vaporizers are only used to turn a specific substance into steam for inhalation purposes.
You can turn the essential oils into water vapor through this device, but that would also mean breaking down most therapeutic properties of the oil.
In short, essential oil diffusers are what you need to maximize both the aromatic and therapeutic benefits of essential oils.
Top 10 Best Essential Oil Diffusers To Look For
I decided to list them based from user reviews since nothing beats the testimonial of those who already tried it first hand. Please note that they were not listed according to rank. If you want to know my top 3, then please head straight to the next section.
In order to give you a better view of why these 10 specific products reigned in my list, here is a table of all the information you need. I would like to remind you again that they are not listed according to rank.
These 10 products were tried and tested by users. Some of these were even tested by yours truly; myself.
Rest assured that you get your money’s worth on these units.
Top 3 Best Essential Oil Diffuser Reviews
Do you still find it difficult to choose which one to purchase? Then let me help you by listing out the best 3 products from the list I made.
- QUOOZ Lull Ultrasonic Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser
- URPOWER 2nd Version Essential Oil Diffuser 100ml
- Innoo Tech Essential Oil Diffuser, 3rd Version Cool Mist Aroma Humidifier Aromatherapy
As a bonus, I will even tell you why I fell in love with these 3.
My husband and I love the soothing ambiance brought about by the breathing light mode. I was able to use citrus oils on this unit, with a little caution of course.
If you already have this but have no idea where to begin; then follow these steps.
How To Use
- 1. Open the unit’s cover from the base and take apart both the insert and directional cup.
- 2. Pour warm water, without overfilling, into the white base of the unit.
- 3. Pour down at least 3 drops of oil. Feel free to add a couple drops more if preferred.
- 4. Assemble all the parts.
- 5. Plug the unit to the power outlet and tap the power switch of the unit.
I had the 1st version of the URPOWER Essential Oil Diffuser and I have bought the second version as well, as I really like Urpower’s products. It has been 16 weeks since I am using it and I am very excited to share my ride and let everyone know how I find this product.
This version is definitely a decent upgrade. It produces a good amount of mist and I can set it up in almost any room of my house. It holds the ability to fight dryness, which makes it unique. As well as holding the different lighting ability, it lasts for approximately 6 hours for at least the first month of use.
I have been using it regularly for about 4 months now, I carry it with me if I need it and it spreads fresh and clean scent, everywhere. The dual mist program, allows us to change its operation with the changing situations and timings. Lastly, it really is a silent worker!
I am really impressed by this diffuser for a wide number of reasons, and I think sharing my thoughts, can help you guys as well.
Firstly, it helps protect me and my family from germs, dusty air, eventually making the air inside our house clean and healthy, this is done by its ultrasonic operator. The little built in fan not only contributes to its increasing range of the fragrance, but also it is silent, which means it works without disturbing me.
Secondly, it also enhances the appeal of the room. The 7 LED lights not only work as a fine decoration, but their light is very attractive in the dark. Moreover, it increases the moisture level of the room, preventing dryness which is done by its humidifier program. As I enter my room after a long, tiring day, its scent really helps me relax and certainly lightens my mood.
Types of Essential Oil Diffusers
There are 4 types of diffusers and I stick with one at the moment. That doesn’t mean I have no experience with the other models. I tried all of them but decided to stick with my own preferences.
Hopefully, you can narrow your search by choosing which type of essential oil diffuser fits you best.
1. Ultrasonic Diffusers
Ultrasonic diffusers use a disk under the liquid substance. Unlike the first 2 types, devices under this type require water. As the disk vibrates at ultrasonic frequencies, both the water and the oil transforms into mist or fog. Cool mist, that is.
- Add water to the canister
- Add the essential oil to the proper area (some models have outer rings where you should add the oil while other models have a specific canister for the oil)
- Turn the device on
- Fewer drops of oil required compared to nebulizing diffusers
- Noise-free (depends on model)
- Also serves as humidifier
- Most models have LED lights options for additional ambiance
- Cleaning is necessary every after use
- Aromatic effect does not cover large areas (depends on model)
This is the type which I frequently use at the moment. The unit I have produced low bubbling sounds of the water but my husband and I find it very relaxing at night.
2. Nebulizing Diffusers
The process used by nebulizing diffusers is similar to the perfume atomizer. A jet of air vacuums the oil from the bottom to the top of the tube. A continuous airflow blows the oil into the air as a fine spray. The amount of oil sprayed can last for several hours. According to aromatherapists, this is the preferred way of diffusing essential oils.
- Insert the bottle of oil to the device
- Set the timer to your preference
- Let the device do the work
- Quick and efficient diffusion of oil into the air
- Low maintenance
- Cleaning is not required every after use
- Humming sounds when diffusing
- Higher and quicker use of oil
- Should not be diffusing more than 15 minutes
I do not own any model of nebulizing diffusers, but I did encounter one in a spa during my vacation. The humming sound of the device is not loud, but I’m not a fan of the noise. Aside from that, the scent and therapeutic effects of the essential oil were at the highest quality you won’t experience from the other types.
3. Heat Diffusers
From the name itself, heat diffusers use heat to evaporate the oil and send it into the air. It’s that simple.
- You add the essential oil on a tray on top of the device
- You light a candle or any heat source below the tray
- Let the heat diffuse the oil into thin air
- Perfect for small size rooms and bedside tables
- Low-cost maintenance
- Candlelight gives soothing ambiance
- Weak oil diffusion
- Short aromatic effect
- High chance of altering or destroying therapeutic components of the oil
- Fire hazard
I started my oil diffusion habit on a heat diffuser. Due to its size and weight, you can even bring it to your vacation. Nothing beats a hotel that smells just like your room.
4. Evaporative Diffusers
Evaporative diffusers use a fan that blows air either into a filter or a pad to where the essential oil was dropped. The air coming from the fan slowly evaporates the oil.
The result is that the scent of the oil effectively expands to an area. The oil does not evaporate quickly so the aromatic ambiance is longer than heat diffusers. The downside is that the therapeutic effects of the oil greatly decreases. Due to the longer process, the elements of the oil become unbalance. The lighter elements set aside on the top while the heavier elements stay put at the bottom.
In other words, you absorb condensed amount of the lighter elements in the beginning and condensed amount of heavier elements in the end.
- Put a few drops of essential oil on the filter or pad
- Turn the device on
- Let the fan slowly diffuses the oil
- Quick transfer of scent into the air
- Convenient replacement of essential oils
- Unbalance aromatherapy effects
- Unable to cover large areas
- Quick disappearance of scent
I pretty much enjoyed this type whenever I want to put a scent in a room quickly. It helped me prepare the room for unexpected guests. My husband’s friends and colleagues love to stay in the guest room because of this device.
Until today, they have no idea where the scent is coming from.
Aromatherapy is an effective way of altering the focus, moods, and functions of the brain. I decided to embrace the therapeutic effects of essential oils because they make my mind at ease at the end of the day.
The scent of the oil makes our home fragrant and relaxing as well. In short, what’s not to love about diffusing essential oils? But is this really the reason why you should buy one too?
Why Buy An Essential Oil Diffuser?
If you are undergoing medical treatment and your therapist suggested aromatherapy, then, there’s nothing to argue about. You need to buy one as soon as possible.
You cannot rely on aromatherapy sessions alone. You need to extend the therapy at your home to speed up the process. You can even save more money by securing your own aromatherapy kit than visiting a spa from time to time.
If you are not under medical treatment and would still like to know if you have to buy one of these, then here are some possible reasons.
• To keep your home fresh and fragrant.
• To enhance your mood.
• To relieve stress.
• To ease both emotional or physical pain.
• To decrease bacteria build up.
• To increase moisture in the air.
• To maintain focus.
• To enhance relaxation and meditation.
The challenge lies, however, in choosing the diffuser that fits you best. With that in mind, let me try to help you out.
How To Choose The Best Essential Oil Diffuser
The most basic process you have to do is ask yourself with these 4 key questions:
• Do I need to maximize the therapeutic effects of the oil?
• Am I after the scent? the health benefits? or both?
By knowing your priority, you will no longer find it difficult to choose between the 4 types of essential oil diffuser. After making a choice, it is then the time to ask yourself:
• Where will you use the unit?
• Do you want to cover a large room or a smaller one?
Now that you already have the type of diffuser and the area coverage in mind, it is now time to determine what kind of oil do you prefer. Are you going for citrus oils? Then try to evaluate the material used for the diffuser.
Citrus oils have higher acidity to they can erode cheap materials faster in the long run.
Always keep these few things in mind and you will always find yourself next to an essential oil diffuser that fits you best.
How To Maintain The Oil Diffuser
Most people tend to commit mistakes when performing maintenance. Sadly, these mistakes cause the device to not function properly or to become completely not functional.
To help you prevent that from happening, just keep the following in mind.
• Do not wash the entire unit. You only need to clean the area where you put the oil and water.
• Use mild vinegar for cleaning. Use water to rinse the vinegar.
• Do not leave the unit on for long period of hours. At least do not go beyond duration specified in the unit manual.
• Clean the device first before changing the essential oil with a different aroma.
• Do not let nebulizing diffusers run for more than 15 minutes. You olfactory senses will become immune to the effects and aroma of essential oils.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use citrus oils on oil diffusers?
• Yes, you can. Just clean the unit after the session because citrus oils have high acidity. Leaving them for long period will erode or damage the unit’s material.
Is Amazon a reliable store to purchase essential oil diffusers?
• You won’t believe it but all my oil diffusers were bought from Amazon. So far, I have no problems with diffusers I ordered from them. I even saved more money due to their discounted prices.
I’m new to oil diffusing. What oils should I start first?
• I suggest you start with Lavender for sleep relaxation. The aroma is mild and fragrant. It’s perfect for stress relief and relaxation.
My unit diffuses shorter that what was specified in the manual. What should I do?
• The length of diffusion depends on the quality of the oil too. If the manual tells you that it lasts for 4 – 5 hours, then the essential oil you chose should be capable of lasting 4 – 5 hours too.
You can click here for more information about best essential oils.
Incoming search terms:
- essential oils aromatherapy diffuser
- diffusers online
- urpower diffuser